Sunday, April 05, 2020

Idle hands...... The Woods get a make over.....

I should have got round to posting this several weeks ago, all of a sudden I seem to have plenty of time on my hands....

Over the past 20 years the woods below have seen plenty of action, but have become a little battered and battle scarred and contain a mixture of types, manufacturers and basing techniques together with a few single trees.

Basetex now there's a thing gamers don't seem to use any more but was a real thing in the 80's.


I picked up a number of 'pond' bases from the chaps at Warbases the extended base sizes will allow the troops to fit a little easier for vehicles and infantry but also increase the woodland area covered.

I added filler and sharp sand before a dry brush and static grass and here are the results.
Not bad at all and with the extras found in a box managed to bolster the woodland with 4 more bases and cleared a few more items from the left over pile, clearing another drawn and shoe box.
Result......



The bases match those of the modern Korean's for the Red Phoenix project and those of my 15mm WW2 collection.



Meanwhile as the flock dries I gave some old hedges a make over, the original colours were rather to 'green' these feel so much better. Cast in plaster from the guys at Time Cast they are suitable for both 6mm and 15mm.



Plenty more in the painting queue to keep me going in the coming weeks.

Next up 'Fillers' for the Red Phoenix project.

16 comments:

  1. Always good to refresh terrain as required, as it can take a battering as you say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking rather nice Stuart! Basetex? Now there's a blast from the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Ray, I wonder who still uses it now?
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  3. You have done a stellar job of rejeuvenating these woodlands Stu. They look wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, really please with these. They were beginning to show a little bit of collateral damage over the years.
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  4. Really nice Stu really hard to see your tanks on them I think between us we could do a 3 table table with plenty of wood cover:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your right, at this rate we can grow our own :-)
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Cheers Simon they will certainly be useful for my 15mm or 6mm

      Delete
  6. Great restoration job, I think I may go and do the same next week, hedges, ploughed fields and trees all need a touch up.

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice forest update, I feel for you as I'm building a ton of jungle terrain at the moment and know how long it takes!

    ReplyDelete