Saturday, July 29, 2023

Dispatches from the front XXIX - Small scale actions.

I had every intention of ploughing through the remaining Commonwealth Infantry and Free French but having completed the prep, basing and undercoating the thought of 80 boots, 40 rifles and webbing etc put me off a little. Perhaps next week unless something shiny comes along.

Instead I opted for the assembly line of the last support weapons for the allies and axis forces. Some nice castings from Warlord in shape of AT guns, Mortars and Infantry Guns...



I did sneak in a small order to Northstar with an extra HMG above, but really for some of their Africa Korps casualties which will make up pin markers for future games - I have hunted high and low for allied casualties and have drawn a blank, which was a surprise as almost every other range of figures across history seems to have them in all scales....

On the subject of purchases, Fred over at Two Send Fred is working on a small wadi for me, I was after a connector for my larger purchase, this is the draft mock up. This will be great for future games, more on that in a separate post.


Plans are afoot to finally give the Pony Wars rules an actual run out at the club. I wanted to be clear on the rules, hosting several players in one go, nothing frustrates me more than agreeing to host a game and not know the rules or spending valuable game time reading them while everyone looks on.
Whilst most definitely of there time the reaction tables really do make for interesting command decisions and they Indians numbers can get out of hand really quickly....


Over at the Wyre Forest Club I gave Bolt Action Modern a run out with my North Koreans facing off against the South Koreans with support from a British/UN modern contingent. Much like the news from Ukraine it turns out that T55's don't last long against more modern dug in armour.


The village of Fooket with dug in Dragon Teams and LAW's lining the walls.


The NK armour rushes forward with closed up armour and infantry in support.


The Brits lie in wait on the tree line.


Kim's forces burn in the field as the M60's take there toll.

A fun encounter if you were western backed forces, not much fun for the Koreans from the north.

You till next time....

6 comments:

  1. A lovely mix of projects there Stu:). Always good to have something esle to do when the painting muse is not upon you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both the WWII support options and the Korean War game look excellent Stu. I can sympathize with your lack of motivation - I have around 100 x 28mm Blitzkrieg Germans scowling at me from my painting desk - they have to wait their turn, until the GNW Russians are finished off! (Although a few "test" figures may jump ahead!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree perhaps little and often might be best. :-)

      Delete
  3. Love the Korean War stuff- it's not gamed often enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange really as the Korean war has some great potential scenarios.

      Delete