Monday, January 01, 2024

Dispatches from the Front XXXI - Welcome to 2024

Well here we are another New Year and the customary review of the past 12 months.

Considering the amount of real life distractions a rather productive year on the gaming front, taken up largely with WW2 and the Western Desert, quite surprising really as it was only meant to be a small project when a member of the club said did you fancy splitting a box, but it ended up turning into forces for both the Commonwealth, French and Germans, with plenty of gaming and a campaign to boot. 

We dabbled with Bolt Action and Chain of Command creating a couple of good house rules which have given us a good experience and a growing collection across several players.... Plenty more planned for 2024.


It was good to get in a couple of fun games of Silver Bayonet, with the return of Claude Canard although he does seem to get picked on in games..  The Hunt for the remaining parts of El-Cid is sure to continue into the new year, but we could see a return to the Middle East of Claude with the next campaign book set in Egypt. 


Our gaming group lost a good wargaming friend in November, Dane (on the left) no matter what we played he seemed to know every rule yet you never saw him read a rule book. He had not been well for several years, but you never saw him complain, in fact the more pain he was in the luckier he seemed to get. One of the founding members of the Wyverns Wargames Club, we had some great games including several all dayers at Salute helping Paul and Sally at Kallistra run their showcase games... Great times... I shall miss our tabletop dust ups.....


So what for 2024?

Well the Germans are in need of some armour if they are to turn the tide in the Tactics II campaign, I had a few pieces gifted over Christmas in the shape of plastic kits that will certainly help. The rise in quality of 3D prints makes the purchase of vehicles so much more affordable so quick order to 3D Valley on E-Bay should give me plenty of extra's for both sides.

The big projects are to finally get the Footsore Kickstarter off the ground and Outremer, it was a big purchase due to those weird days in lock down when I sold some collections for crazy money. I must be honest the weight and volume of shiny metal is a little bit off putting. But if I break them down into the various factions it should be fine.

Not quite sure of the rule set yet, Baron's War is the obvious choice but I am hoping to scratch an itch from over 30 years ago to turn Standard Games hex game into a mini version. With rumours of a new version coming out, it could be a sign of things to come.


I have a hankering for some BIG games with small figures and am leaning towards my first historical period of interest when I first got into gaming. The American War of Independence. A period I have read plenty on although surprising never owned, I have also never painted British Regulars in all my years of gaming.

I am thinking 10mm Pendragon to give me a comprise of a large table but with figures I can still make out the detail on.... Now for a set of rules, base and unit sizes?

I have several taster packs on order to see if I can paint them to a standard I am comfortable with, given the volumes involved.

What else?

Who knows the usual butterfly feeling may take hold, depending on what you watch and listen to, just finished a cracking pod cast on the Aztecs and the Spanish Conquistadors - Well I already have Spanish???


Happy New Year everyone.

10 comments:

  1. Have a good New Year and looking forward to seeing your out put this year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year Stu…lots to look forward to, the Outreimer stuff looks great, obviously AWI comes recommended by me 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt and to you, I see you were using Rebels and Patriots - any thoughts on suitability for 10mm? Toying with several sets at the moment.

      Delete
  3. A good mix of games this year, with Operation Exporter a favourite of mine:). Sorry to hear about Dane's passing:(. I look forward to seeing if you progress down the 10mm AWI route as the figures are wonderful. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be a biggie Steve, I fancied several figures to a base, just need to settle on a rule set. Quite a few to choose from, I want to go up a level from Sharp Practice but still keep a lower level feel to command decisions - I would welcome your thoughts.
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year Stu...you have had an interesting variety in 2023 so hopefully this continues in the next 12 months...AWI sounds like a great idea, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year to you and yours Stuart. I shall look forward to whatever you fancy painting up in 2024!

    ReplyDelete