Saturday, September 14, 2019

Dispatches from the front II

I bloody hate cavalry...… I have been sitting looking at the same cavalry unit for the best part of three weeks, if I can't break the back of them tomorrow they might have to be bounced from the queue for a while.
I am not sure if it's the mass of horse flesh or the fact that I have glued the riders on first, something that I don't normally do in the painting process. Do we all have a touch of OCD when it comes to painting?

Meanwhile we had a crack at Osprey's latest card game, a two player game with a number of missions from D-Day to play through, you use your cards to grab the initiative and use your squads to grab objectives I must admit it was a real blast and felt very realistic, very much a band of brothers feel to it, the early missions contain only rifle squads, but later missions introduce MG's Mortars and snipers.



MG's are great at pinning troops, mortars are flaming nasty and you need to get a move on once the targeting round lands. Stick and move is the name of the game.
Send your scouts out to clear the ground in front of you before you send your rifle sections in to take the ground.


The game tiles have plenty of detail and I am sure I won't be the only one thinking about how I could convert this to a miniatures game. 
Each mission lasts about 45 minutes and makes for a great evenings game. 

I based up the QH Miniatures and have included a couple of comparison shots to the Trent Miniatures, they match up very well in size although the quality of sculpt needs some work when compared to others on the market these days. 


Trent Minatures have a slave pack available which landed this morning along with some casualties which will give me so more line infantry shock markers. 


Whilst finding anything to do other than paint the Haitian horse, I did finally get round to painting up the Warbases Pigeon loft and a couple of the test houses for the Red Phoenix project.



Switching between 28mm and 6mm is not great when you are trying to get you eye in once the cavalry are done I will look to get the rest of the Korean village finished so I can get a couple of Seven Days to the Rhine in.

4 comments:

  1. Looks very nice, lovely Haitian horses...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate painting cavalry too, even in 10mm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure I could take 10mm, 28mm is bad enough, I had a Hankering for the pony wars but that is just far to much cavalry :-)
      Back to some foot troops next assuming these ever get finished.
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  3. Eugene McCarthy campaign made history. Then, of course, there were the failed bids by Tim Pawlenty and Michele Bachman and, before those, the quadrennial runs by Harold Stassen. After looking at that long list, we understand why Minnesota may be the only state where mothers do not tell their children they can grow up to be president.. (tags: Jordan Shoes For Sale Cheap, 2020 Jordan Release Dates, Ray Ban Sunglasses Outlet)

    The carpet in my den has seen better days too may as well look into options for replacing the flooring in there. I trying to decide between just putting down a replacement carpet or a new wood floor that I know would last over the long term and I won just have to change again down the road. I will probably consult my designer on this big decision as well, since she has her thumb on pricing and options for this and can help me make a smart decision based on my budget and needs.. (tags: Coach Outlet Store Online , Michael Kors Bags Sale, Coach Outlet Store, MK Outlet)

    Come out and enjoy "Big Band" sounds, wonderful food, and dancing along with other fun events. A silent auction with many marvelous items will also be held. For more information, call 337 439 7400. The Christmas tree is one of the most loved icons of this season. If you plan to buy a fresh pine from a Christmas tree store, make sure that you put it on a stand that can hold at least 2 liters of water. The tree needs about a liter of water a day to stay fresh and green (tags: Cheap Real Yeezys, Discount Jordan Shoes Wholesale, Cheap Yeezys).

    ReplyDelete