Saturday, October 19, 2019

Warlords of Erehwon - Elizabethan Zombie Wars

The latest Antediluvian Miniatures got me thinking about scaling up the Elizabethan Zombie Wars. I took the plunge and picked up a copy of  Warlord's Warlords of Erehwon rules.



The rules are well put together and well laid out, although a touch more proof reading would not have gone a miss. 
Much like many of Rick's offerings they are quick to pick up and very playable and should more than handle the larger units that I have in mind.


I also picked up this cracking sculpt from Heresy Miniatures whilst a glimpse of what's to come for the Zombie wars revisited.

It may seem to be a bit of a paradox but I do like my fantasy gaming to be based on a degree of history and keeping the focus on Elizabethan times, I spent some time reading up on the Witchcraft Act of 1563. The stuff you find on the web.

The Act was passed to persecute those witches said to invoke evils spirits to commit murder. There were also a number of superstitions revolving around witchcraft:
  • Witches had the ability to fly using broomsticks.
  • Witches used a huge black pot or cauldron to make and brew their magic potions.
  • Witches had the ability to change into animal forms like cats, dogs, raven, etc.
Now that sounds like my sort of game... :-)

Most supposed witches were usually old women, and invariably poor. Any who were unfortunate enough to be ‘crone-like’, snaggle-toothed, sunken cheeked and having a hairy lip were assumed to possess the ‘Evil Eye’ ! If they also had a cat this was taken a proof, as witches always had a ‘familiar’, the cat being the most common. If convicted many were hanged or tortured with thumb screws or leg irons.



But what if the Witches were real and fought back?

With plenty of Zombies already painted up, what else could I bring in from English folklore to plague the English and Spanish.

Reading through the rules there are loads of special characteristics and stats available for your regular fantasy army lists but a couple of tweaks to these should allow me to pull together the various forces and factions for the Elizabethan wars.

Something to do while I wait for the paint to dry on the latest additions.

4 comments:

  1. Well that would add an element of surprise in our Boarder Reivers campaign!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I shall be very interested to see where this goes Stuart, I might be able to feed it back into my Witchfinder world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few items coming up Michael which you might like.
      Cheers
      Stuart

      Delete