Monday, November 01, 2021

Second Schleswig War 1864 - A cold front opens up

Wow these look huge compared to the 6mm from Baccus over the past 3 months.

A good friend of mine has been quietly building up his forces for the Dano-Prussian War of 1864, an interesting affair which takes place as the Prussians start to flex their muscle and a precursor to what was to occur in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870

The Danes had it tough fighting a largely defensive war against the armies of Prussia and Austrian. Let's see if history can be changed...

Cracking castings from Northstar and a great paint job which really captures the period and the fighting which took place in February in the frozen conditions.

We gave Eagles of Empire Miniatures rules a run through, designed for the Franco Prussian War, they had some interesting mechanisms where you receive points for capturing objectives, these points can be spent on reinforcements, unit characteristics or victory points. (It's the first to 18 points in the game).

Some nice ideas, but some tweaks maybe to balance the stoic Danes and the nibble Prussians and their new military doctrine.

16 comments:

  1. Excellent! I always fancied doing this myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim, it certainly has some interesting scenario options.
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  2. Very nice and a favourite period of mine, although I prefer the 1848 campaign to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, It's a period I knew very little about but 1848 looks interesting as well. I remember seeing some of the prints from Blandford Military Uniforms of the World when I was in my teens.
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  3. Looking good, but a period I know nothing about in Europe 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both Matt, until a few weeks ago :-)
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  4. Glad to see this war played, beautiful figures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone - looks, great, its a period I have considered getting a Danish force for, but I know nothing about the war! I am assuming you could get away with using FPW Prussians as the enemy for the Danes although button counters might rip up their anoraks in frustration at such a thought....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Keith, very little difference to my eye, but I suggested using ACW Union troops in frock coats, now that would really set people off :-)
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
    2. Oh yes it certainly would Stu!

      Delete
    3. Oh yes it certainly would Stu!

      Delete
  6. Amazing! Is this a fluffy teddy bear mat painted white?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little more simple than that dark brown faux fur throw from Dunhelm in the UK and then several white under coat spray cans over a couple of weeks.
      Really pleased with the overall result, but needs some snow drifts to add a little more to the winter feel.
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  7. Great looking troops Stuart. It's not a period you see being gamed very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Ray, pleased with the table as I was a bit worried about how to represent the table, but it came out rather well.
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete