Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Germans in Winter Gear - Kampfgruppe Sticker.

This is a very odd feeling. I have actually completed an entire project, not a single piece of unpainted metal exists for this collection. I was ambushed by these last week when reorganising my storage boxes, they had sat based and undercoated in the box for around 5 years.

The combination of locked down, monthly focus on certain projects and desire to clear 30 years of stored figures finally brings them to the table.


Most of the original units have a wintery feel to them a rag tag bunch of Germans in greatcoats and Volkstrum in civilian clothing, so these represent a more well equipment unit in full winter gear.

I remember reading an article several years ago on Operation Werewolf where the German High Command planned to operate behind allied lines carrying out sabotage and ambushes, with members drawn from the Nazi party, Waffen SS and Hitler Youth.

I figured these could be something interesting to bring into the Kampfgruppe Stickler narrative campaign.



The figures are largely early Battlefront and are based in 12 man sections with a MG34 Team and one single Pz Faust which will give them some defence against the Russian armour in the forthcoming Bolt Action games.


Meanwhile continuing with the winter theme I completed these to add to the winter feel, donated to me by a friend of mine several years ago (thanks Dane.) I never did fancy sticking clumps of foliage onto the branches, but they do make rather good winter trees and will give the table that slushily feel after the a heavy frost or the snow begins to melt.


So there we are. One completed project. So that's that it feels like.

Although the Forged in Battle 88mm's are rather nice and to make the postage up I might as well grab some more Soviet Infantry after all you can never have enough Russians, besides I have some spare bases and I would not want to throw them away. These guys will need some transport and they do a nice pack of three Halftracks which includes a radio car, which would be good for a scenario I would like to try...….. Hell I have been in doors for a month and seen how much we waste on food and 'stuff' I should just go ahead and treat myself....

Welcome to mind of a Wargamer.
I guess I am not finished after all.....

11 comments:

  1. Great to see you've achieved so much on this project, so why not treat yourself:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem might be sneaking them in the house as nobody is going out :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, five years in the making! Certainly worth waiting for Stuart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice looking group of models! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ski. It's nice to get them finished.

      Delete
  4. Nice work Stu. I was going to congratulate you on completing a project, but then you ruined it when your true colours were revealed in the final paragraph....sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shame of it Keith... not hit purchase just yet :-)

      Delete
  5. Nicely painted Stu .......I know the mind of a Wargames far too well. Projects are rarely fully comlpeted........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very impressive looking troops,Stu. You've certainly convinced me that 15mm is a very viable scale for WW2 skirmish.

    ReplyDelete