Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Kampfgruppe Stickler....

Being a child of the 80's it's surprising how much leaks through into my sense of what a game should feel like. I was a an avid reader of the likes of Warlord and Battle comics as a kid. One of my favourites was Kampfgruppe Falken. Major Heinz Falken leads a penal battalion on the Russian front looking to stem the Russian tide. 

Now that does sound familiar.
Here's a episode from July 1980 to get you in the mood for the next outing hitting the blog tomorrow....



12 comments:

  1. Yes ...Stickler is obviously inspired by Falken...and the idea if a penal battalion seems lifted straight from the Sven Hassel books I read as a teenager in the late 70's...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure your right, just picked up a couple of books on ebay earlier this week. Cheers Stu

      Delete
  2. Ah, the old Battle and Warlord magazines, so many happy memories! I started off with Commando comics and am old enough to remember when Battle magazine first came out. The quality of the drawings was superb and the story lines might not suitable for today's audience from memory...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely Steve, I can't imagine it hitting the shelves today. Just found my box of comic's in the loft. Plenty to do this weekend, so many good stories.
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  3. So good to see this and like Ross, I remember devouring the Sven Hassel books too. Looking forward to the game now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never seen this comics before; very cool. Love the artwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth searching the web for PDF copies Dean..

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to a rip roaring battle .....ratatatatatatatatatatatattttttt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Matt...
      A trip to loft is in order for my old copies.
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  6. I'm another who read the Sven Hassle books. But I'm not into WW2 wargaming. Doesn't stop me reading an interesting AAR though!

    ReplyDelete